|Learning Support Assistant||Mrs. Smith|
Welcome to year 2′s class page. I hope you can find everything you need here, but if anything is missing then please let us know and we will update the page as quickly as we can!
Please note: PE is on Tuesday and Friday
Mrs Fraser, Class Teacher.
2017-2018 Curriculum Overview
PE is on a Tuesday and Friday – please ensure your child has the correct kit in school.
Parents evening is on Tuesday 3rd and Thursday 5th October.
Year 2’s act of worship in the school hall starting at 9.15am – Friday 13th October
In addition to reading, spellings and times tables your child will be set weekly homework consisting of maths, literacy or a creative topic based activity. This will come home on a Friday and due in the following Wednesday. The expectation is that your child will read a minimum of 5 times each week. If for any reason your child is unable to complete the homework tasks please speak to a member of staff or write a note in their link book and we shall endeavour to help as best we can.
Year 2′s Hedgehog homework was far too amazing not to share. Here are just a few:
Reading will become a big part of your child’s life during in Year 2 consisting of independent reading, reading with an adult, guided reading and reading with a Year 4 ‘reading buddy’. In addition to their school reading books we encourage children to ‘read for pleasure’. Below is a list of books I have compiled which will introduce your children to a wide range of vocabulary and I am sure they will enjoy. The majority of these titles can be found in the school library and a few in the classroom. If you wish to support your child with the breadth of reading then please feel free to read these books at home. We hope that some of them may be purchased as birthday or Christmas present or a general ‘book treat’.
- The Snail and the Whale Julia Donaldson
- The Smartest Giant in Town Julia Donaldson
- George’s marvellous medicine Roald Dahl
- Princess Smartypants Babette Cole
- Bill’s New Frock Anne Fine
- Flat Stanley Jeff Brown
- Amazing Grace Mary Hoffman
- Handa’s Surprise Eileen Browne
- Mister Magnolia Quentin Blake
- Billionaire Boy David Walliams
- Matilda Roald Dahl
- Angry Arthur Hiawyn Oram
- Winnie the Pooh AA Milne
- The Worst Witch Jill Murphy
- The Cat in the Hat Dr Seuss
- A Bear called Paddington Michael Bond
- Awful Auntie David Walliams
- Six Dinner Sid Inga Moore
- Lost and Found Oliver Jeffers
- Burglar Bill Janet & Allen Ahlberg
- Charlotte’s Web E.B. White
- A Squash and a Squeeze Julia Donaldson
- Fantastic Mr Fox Roald Dahl
- The BFG Roald Dahl
- Room on a Broom Julia Donaldson
This year your child will start learning and be tested on times tables. We will start with the 2 times tables and progress onto the 5′s, 10′s and 3′s. In the summer term we will look at the 4 times tables.
To support their learning of these we have some tried and tested apps. If you have access to an ipad or tablet you may wish to download some of these to play at home. Most are free however some require a small fee.
Mr Thorne’s Addition Space Station
Mr Thorne’s Subtraction Galaxy
Mr Thorne’s Times Tables Terra
Mr Thorne’s Divide and Conquer
Hit the Button